• Source:JND
HighLights
  1. 22 Indian nationals safe after two ship hijackings.
  2. Ships seized off Yemen and Somalia coasts by pirates.
  3. MEA confirms safety, in contact with relevant authorities.

Two commercial ships were hijacked by pirates off the coasts of Yemen and Somalia, with 22 Indian nationals among the 30 crew members on board. The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) has now confirmed that all 22 Indians are safe, with spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal saying the government is in contact with the relevant authorities regarding their safety.

During a press conference, MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said 16 Indian nationals were aboard MT Sibu 1, while six were on M/V LUTUF, a Cameroon-flagged cargo ship that was seized off the Somali coast earlier this week.

ALSO READ: 'No Reason To Comment': MEA Snubs Pakistan's 'Frustration' Over Sergio Gor's Remarks; Reaffirms J-K Indivisible Part of India

"Two foreign-flagged ships have been hijacked. We are in touch with the concerned authorities. There are 22 Indian nationals on board, 16 on one ship and six on the other, and all of them are reportedly safe. We are looking into the matter. Let me tell you that the welfare and safety of our seafarers and seafaring community is something to which we attach very high importance,” Jaiswal said.

Six Indians Among 10 Crew On M/V LUTUF

The M/V LUTUF, operated by Polar Movement Shipping, was reportedly hijacked by pirates off Somalia and redirected towards the Nugaal coastline.

The vessel had 10 crew members, including six Indians, one Turkish national, one Georgian national and two Serbian security guards.

According to reports, the ship was seized around three-and-a-half nautical miles off Marraya in Puntland's Eyl district. The vessel was reportedly carrying Turkish military weapons and communication satellite equipment.

Second Vessel Seized Near Yemen

The MEA's statement came after another vessel, identified as SIBU, was reportedly seized in the Gulf of Aden on Thursday.

The tanker, also known as Seamull, reportedly issued a distress call after six armed men boarded the vessel and forced the crew to change course towards Somalia.

The two incidents have once again raised concerns over piracy and the safety of Indian sailors operating in waters around Yemen and Somalia.

ALSO READ: Six Indians Among Crew Held By Pirates On Hijacked Cargo Ship Carrying Turkish Arms Off Somalia

MEA Says India Responded To Pakistan's Action

During the same briefing, Jaiswal also addressed the removal of structures from the Indian High Commission complex in Islamabad. He said some structures within the Indian High Commission premises were forcibly removed by Pakistan, despite India's request that they not be removed.

"Some structures in front of the Indian High Commission in Pakistan, which were meant to facilitate parking, were removed. Despite our request to them not to do so, they went ahead with it. In response, we took what could be described as a proportionate action. There were some temporary structures in the lane where the Pakistani High Commission is located here, and we removed them," Jaiswal said.

The MEA spokesperson said India responded firmly to Pakistan's action. As part of the response, some temporary structures located in the road lane outside the Pakistan High Commission in New Delhi were removed.

You May Also Like To Watch:


Also In News