- By Alex David
- Thu, 19 Feb 2026 12:27 AM (IST)
- Source:JND
The opening day of the India AI Impact Summit 2026 drew massive crowds but was marred by logistical challenges, prompting an apology from the government. Union Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw acknowledged difficulties faced by attendees, while Congress president Mallikarjun Kharge criticised the Modi Government over what he termed “utter chaos and rank mismanagement”. The five-day summit, hosted in New Delhi, has brought together global AI firms, startups, policymakers, and technocrats.
Ashwini Vaishnaw Apologises After Mismanagement on Day One of AI Impact Summit
Addressing a press conference at Bharat Mandapam, Union Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw said the turnout on February 16 was “phenomenal”, with more than 70,000 people attending the first day of the India AI Impact Summit 2026.
“This is the biggest AI summit in the entire world. The response is phenomenal. The energy is palpable. We can see the organisation is very smooth now. If anybody faced any problems yesterday, we apologise for that,” Mr Vaishnaw said. He added that a dedicated “war room” had been set up to address grievances and operational issues, ensuring smoother arrangements for the remaining days.
Recommended For You
ALSO READ: Nothing Warns Of Rising Counterfeit Products In India As Delhi Police Seize Over 1,100 Fake Devices
Earlier, Congress president Mallikarjun Kharge criticised the government in a post on X, saying the summit had turned into “utter chaos” due to mismanagement. He alleged that founders, exhibitors, and visitors faced distress because of security restrictions ahead of Narendra Modi’s visit for the inauguration, along with shortages of basic facilities like food and water.
Kharge also cited reports of stolen products, failed digital systems, and restrictions on personal electronic devices, calling it a “global embarrassment”.
What could have been a showpiece AI Summit for the entire world demonstrating the digital & AI capabilities of India, has reportedly turned into utter chaos and rank mismanagement by this "PR hungry" government!
— Mallikarjun Kharge (@kharge) February 17, 2026
Founders, exhibitors and visitors - all face extreme distress due…
Exhibitors Flag Disruptions and Theft Claims
The opening day saw packed halls, long queues, confusion over entry instructions, and unreliable mobile connectivity. Some exhibitor stalls were temporarily evacuated ahead of the Prime Minister’s visit.
Dhananjay Yadav, CEO of NeoSapien, claimed on X that some of the company’s AI wearables were stolen after exhibitors were asked to vacate stalls. Other founders, including Punit Jain of Reskill and entrepreneur Priyanshu Ratnakar, also pointed to lack of clarity, water shortages, registration glitches, and what they described as “optics over execution”. Jain later acknowledged that coordination improved on the second day.



