• Source:JND

Falta Re-Poll 2026: In a major setback to the Trinamool Congress in West Bengal, party candidate from the Falta Assembly constituency, Jahangir Khan, on Tuesday, refused to contest the re-poll in Falta. A video of Jahangir Khan addressing the press is going viral on social media, in which he said he is separating himself from the upcoming re-polling.

"I am the son of Falta, and I want Falta to be at peace and grow. Our CM Suvendu Adhikari is giving a special package for the development of Falta, which is why I am separating myself from the re-polling of the constituency," Jahangir Khan said.

The shocking development for the TMC came a day after the Calcutta High Court on Monday granted Jahangir Khan protection from any coercive action by police till May 26 in connection with criminal cases filed against him.

However, it has not been confirmed whether Jahangir Khan can officially withdraw his candidature as the date for the withdrawal has already passed.

ALSO READ: 'Where Is Pushpa?' CM Suvendu Adhikari's Dramatic Entry Into TMC's Jahangir Khan Bastion In South 24 Parganas | Watch

Jahangir Khan grabbed headlines during the recently concluded West Bengal Assembly Election 2026, for calling himself "Pushpa", a cine character, after IPS officer Ajay Pal Sharma, appointed as a police observer in Bengal, warned his family a couple of days before the May 29 polls not to intimidate voters, else he would be brought under the lens of the law.

'Succumbed To Pressure,' Says TMC

Trinamool Congress, meanwhile, has denied receiving any communication from Jahangir Khan. However, the party slammed Jahangir Khan and accused him of "succumbing to BJP's pressure".

"The decision taken by Jahangir Khan to withdraw from the Falta re-poll is his personal decision and not that of the party. Since the election results were declared on 4th May, more than 100 of our party workers have been arrested in Falta AC alone. Several party offices have been vandalised, shut down and forcibly captured in broad daylight through intimidation, while the EC continues to turn a blind eye despite repeated complaints," the party said in a statement.

"Even in the face of such pressure, our workers remain rock-solid and continue to resist the BJP’s intimidation unleashed through agencies and the administration. However, some eventually succumbed to the pressure and chose to step away from the field. We strongly condemn this. Our fight against the Bangla Birodhi BJP will continue- both in West Bengal and in Delhi," the statement added.

'No Other Way Left,' Says Bengal CM Suvendu Adhikari

Reacting to the development, West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari said that Jahangir Khan had no other option but to run away. Campaigning in Falta in South 24 Parganas district ahead of the May 21 re-election, Adhikari claimed that Khan had no option but to withdraw from the contest. "He had no other way, as he won't get a polling agent, so he decided to run away," the CM said.

Why EC Announced Repolling In Falta?

The Election Commission last month ordered a re-poll in all 285 polling booths in the Falta Assembly constituency after declaring the April 29 election void over serious allegations of electoral malpractice. The decision came after multiple allegations of major irregularities, including tampering with EVM buttons and disruptions during polling.

One of the major controversy which erupted during the polling was of electronic voting machine (EVM) tampering. Reports say that ballot unit buttons in several polling stations were masked using black tape, preventing voters from selecting candidates of their choice.

ALSO READ: Bengal Polls: BJP Alleges Lotus Symbol 'Taped' On EVMs In Falta; CEO Says 'Will Order Repolling If Verified' | 10 Points

Such tampering was confirmed in at least 60 polling stations, accounting for about 21 per cent of all booths and affecting over 53,000 electors. The Commission noted that while complaints were eventually acted upon, a significant portion of voting had already taken place by then. 

What Happened Between IPS Ajay Pal Sharma And Jahangir Khan?

During the campaign, IPS officer Ajal Pal Sharma visited Falta following complaints that Khan's associates were allegedly collecting voter identity cards and threatening voters. Eyewitnesses said Sharma reached Khan’s residence on Monday and issued a clear warning.

Sharma, who is often dubbed as "Singham", said, "Tell Jahangir that repeated complaints are coming that his people are threatening others. If that continues, we will take it up seriously."

The dispute gained widespread attention after Jahangir made a dramatic statement on IPS Sharma and said, "This is Bengal; if he is 'Singham', I am 'Pushpa'. Any kind of intimidation or pressure from the Uttar Pradesh police officers deployed by the BJP in Falta will not be tolerated."

ALSO READ: Who Is IPS Ajay Pal Sharma? UP's 'Singham' Sparks Buzz After He Threatens TMC Candidate Jahangir Khan In Bengal | Watch


Also In News