- By Raju Kumar
- Sat, 21 Feb 2026 12:23 AM (IST)
- Source:JND
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, King Charles' younger brother, is likely to be removed from the line of royal succession over his alleged ties with Jeffrey Epstein, who was an American financier and convicted sex offender. News agency, Reuters, quoting a UK official, reported that the British government will consider new legislation to remove Andrew from the line of royal succession once the ongoing police investigation into his ties with Epstein is over.
The official, on the condition of anonymity, said any changes to the line of succession would require consultation and agreement with other countries where King Charles, Andrew's brother, is head of state.
ALSO READ: Who Was Virginia Giuffre? Epstein Survivor Whose Allegations Led To Prince Andrew's Royal Fall
Police Search Royal Mansion After Andrew Released From Arrest
Meanwhile, the British Police conducted searches at the former mansion of Andrew on Friday after a photograph of the royal emerging from a police station was splashed on newspapers around the world.
Thames Valley Police has searched Wood Farm on the king's Sandringham estate in Norfolk, eastern England, where Mountbatten-Windsor now resides, and officers were still searching his former mansion in Windsor on Friday. While being arrested means that police have reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed and that the royal is suspected of involvement in an offence, it does not imply guilt.
Earlier, he was arrested on Thursday, his 66th birthday, on suspicion of misconduct in public office. However, Andrew was released under investigation after being held by police for more than 10 hours. Police alleged that he sent confidential government documents to disgraced Epstein when he was a trade envoy. He has yet not been charged with any offence, but looked haunted in a Reuters photograph after his release.
The Law Must Take Its Course: King
King Charles, who stripped his brother of his title of prince and forced him out of his Windsor home last year, said on Thursday he had learned about the arrest with "deepest concern". "Let me state clearly: the law must take its course," the king said.
(With Reuters Inputs)
